Board » Hyperborea

Posted By Topic » some questions for a new player
heckler
Group: Site Member
Member: 2124
Total Posts: 5
Posted: Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 12:35 AM
hello. i'm a new player (no games yet, just sifting through rules and building lists based upon models i like) and have several questions. unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any regular postings in these forums so i'm not sure when a reply will ensue.

is there another forum that everyone uses for wargods?

can you wield a spear and a hand weapon and recieve the defense bonus in melee? if not, what is the point of buying a spear for 4 points vice a 2-handed weapon for 2 points other than the look and the potential to throw it once?

it seems like a frostbite blade would break quite often. should i equip a second weapon for when this happens?

does a master of the hunt have to join the unit of howlers?

Anstpuppet
Member: 888
Total Posts: 152
Posted: Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 5:22 AM Edited on 2014-02-22 05:23:15.0
Welcome to the fold. It is always nice to see new folks around here.

I don't know of any other forums used by the Wargods faithful.

You cannot, to my knowledge, get the defense bonus for hand weapon and spear. The advantage of a spear, aside from the throwing thing you already mentioned, is that it is hafted, which allows it to be used by a second rank of attackers in formations that allow such attacks. I don't think that is very helpful with Wendigo but with most armies from Aegyptus and Olympus it can be a big advantage.

As to the Frostbite Blade issue, it might not be a bad idea, but I guess it just depends on how important that weakness is to you.

It appears that the Master of the Hunt does need to join the howlers as they "operate as a unit under his command." (Wendigo p. 14) This is similar to beasts attached to a Beastmaster in Aegyptus IIRC.

Tjaroy
Member: 23
Total Posts: 423
Posted: Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 12:16 PM
You can also Set for Charge with the Spear, which can at times really save your Bacon.

Tony

---------------
Tjaroy the Fist of Ptah Champion of Sobek(SF05), Champion of Amun(TX05), Champion of Bast (TX05), Champion of Bast(SF06) Sasobek the Devouer of the Weak, Defender of Khepri (GenCon07), Champion of Ra(GenCon07)

Oceanborn
Member: 67
Total Posts: 622
Posted: Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 3:10 PM
As others have said, not aware of any other forums people use for wargods

You can't wield a spear and hand weapon for a defensive bonus, the only way to get the defensive bonus is to specifically buy the weapon set 'two hand weapons' - this also means that you can't buy a second hand weapon for the ice witch and claim this bonus.

For spears, the set for charge is about the only additional bonus that Wendigo get as they can't form block.

Frostbite blades don't break that often, however it is definitely worth equipping a second weapon - even for aegyptus characters I will often equip a second weapon so that I have an option when in melee.

The Master of the Hunt MUST begin the game attached to the unit of howlers.

heckler
Posted: Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 10:56 PM
thanks guys! i have more questions if your answering batteries are recharged.

can an armor value be above 10? i find it conceivable to put a stone of protection on an ice witch, have her roll the frozen skin power, and have 2 armor from her light armor and 2 from her chariot.

in general is delayed deployment a huge hinderance with the snowbeast? is it often that he largely fails to participate in the battle?

is defense not used at all for shooting?

is there a maximum ka that i can take on an ice witch? i've been making some sample lists at 1000 points with 3 ka and am not sure if i can do that.

Oceanborn
Posted: Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 11:20 PM
No, armour can't be above 10, but at the same time a runestone on the Ice witch does not increase her armour by 5, it increases her natural armour to 5, and a model only counts the highest of natural armour and regular armour (so her armour is 5), also the Frozen skin power gives her a hard armour of 5, and models only count the highest there as well, so again her armour is still 5. The War sled does give a +2 bonus to armour, so the maximum armour of an ice witch is 7. See P.26 of the Aegyptus rulebook

The snowbeast is great when it turns up, but can be crippling when it doesn't turn up if you have built your warband around relying on it. It also depends on the scenario objectives as to how much of a penalty this will be.

Defence isn't used for shooting, only the Missile rating of the shooting unit.

Maximum Ka is 10, however at 1000 points you will find that most people play ka 1 or 2 - At Cancon this year we were running 2000 points at Ka 2. Locally we usually agree on a points level and Ka level for our games, unless playing a campaign.

Oceanborn
Posted: Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 11:20 PM
No, armour can't be above 10, but at the same time a runestone on the Ice witch does not increase her armour by 5, it increases her natural armour to 5, and a model only counts the highest of natural armour and regular armour (so her armour is 5), also the Frozen skin power gives her a hard armour of 5, and models only count the highest there as well, so again her armour is still 5. The War sled does give a +2 bonus to armour, so the maximum armour of an ice witch is 7. See P.26 of the Aegyptus rulebook

The snowbeast is great when it turns up, but can be crippling when it doesn't turn up if you have built your warband around relying on it. It also depends on the scenario objectives as to how much of a penalty this will be.

Defence isn't used for shooting, only the Missile rating of the shooting unit.

Maximum Ka is 10, however at 1000 points you will find that most people play ka 1 or 2 - At Cancon this year we were running 2000 points at Ka 2. Locally we usually agree on a points level and Ka level for our games, unless playing a campaign.

heckler
Posted: Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 11:14 AM
thank you for the insight. i was not aware that ka was an agreed upon value.

Oceanborn
Posted: Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 3:30 PM
That is our local convention, other groups may do things differently.

Tjaroy
Member: 23
Total Posts: 423
Posted: Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 6:14 PM
Yes before you play you decide on a point value and also the Max Ka to start at.

For Aegyptus games we play Ka 2 1250 points. For Olympus we raise the point to 1500.

Hope that helps.

Tony

---------------
Tjaroy the Fist of Ptah Champion of Sobek(SF05), Champion of Amun(TX05), Champion of Bast (TX05), Champion of Bast(SF06) Sasobek the Devouer of the Weak, Defender of Khepri (GenCon07), Champion of Ra(GenCon07)

Mordante
Member: 1205
Total Posts: 90
Posted: Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 8:50 PM
Something that was not mentioned above is that spears can also be used as a 1 shot thrown weapon. On my hunters, if I have the points, I take Spears and Javalins. Usually they do better throwing than they do in combat.

Ka level is usually agreed on before you start your list building with your opponent. In campaigns though you can use the rules where you gain a ka if you take someone elses, so you could have a higher or lower ka than other harbingers. We usually limit campaign play so that if you lose a ka, you only lose down to a certain level, which keeps things balances somewhat. I don't think I've ever played in a game that was more than a difference of 2 ka between harbingers.

I break my iceblade all the time. A backup weapon is a must I think. Also, bringing the horn is great for intimidation, and can change the way the enemy plays, because they try to hunt down your shaman. So even if the snowbeast does not show up, it is useful. And when he does show up, look out! I have a history of getting him in by turn 4 on average...much to Tony and Akori and Rayman's chagrin.

heckler
Posted: Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 10:48 PM
so are wargods of aegyptus and olympus separate games? i thought they were just seperate as army books.

i meant to ask you more about the game at the shop today wade, but when i was free you were busy and vice versa.

Oceanborn
Posted: Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 11:05 PM
Separate games that are compatible - so all the rules will be in both books, however each book will have some special rules related to that panthenon (such a phalanx etc.) as well as the related army lists. The Wendigo are the only warband that have the small warband book without the rules.

Mind you, this is just based on my understanding of how the Olympus book will work...

Mordante
Member: 1205
Total Posts: 90
Posted: Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 12:30 AM
Exactly. Catch me next time and I can demo the game for you some time. The olympus rules out now are in Croctales magazine, sort of a "playtest" version, since the kickstarter was used to get the full rules into development and hopefully out in the next year.

heckler
Posted: Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 1:22 AM
sounds good. i'll be around next sunday

Create Account | Visiting As: guest (US) | Log In
Terms of Service | Content & Artwork Copyright © 2010 Crocodile Games. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy