Board » Aegyptus

Posted By Topic » Possible new player, rulebook question
Mordante
Group: Site Member
Member: 1205
Total Posts: 90
Posted: Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 7:35 PM
I almost always raise my discipline first, especially if you are playing scenarios regularly, since going first is often the key to victory. Then it is a tossup between attack and defense ratings. For my Harbinger of Set it is usually attack, so that I can capitalize on the high DM that he gets by having either the amulet of Set, Poison, or both. If my harbinger is not really "killy" already, I go defense 2nd almost always, assuming that he/she will not be trying to get into combat, but trying to avoid it in most cases. (Ice witch in my case). For my Habinger of Sobek, I go defense too, since his attack is already awesome.

Rathamon
Member: 2026
Total Posts: 13
Posted: Friday, Aug 23, 2013 at 4:21 AM
Seems like a solid idea. You mention amulets. I've been looking at adding a priest to the warband but it seems like all the priests are Asar. Can I just convert a Heru model to be a priest of Horus, or are only Asar allowed to be priests? I'd rather not put humans in my bird-man army.

---------------
Look upon my army list, ye mighty, and despair

Tjaroy
Member: 23
Total Posts: 423
Posted: Friday, Aug 23, 2013 at 10:22 AM
Priest can be Asar or Children of the Gods. So yes you could have a Heru priest.

You would just add the priest bonus to a regular Heru warrior's stats.

The Croc does not have any Heru priest models but I always use the Female Heru hero for my Heru priest.

Tony

---------------
Tjaroy the Fist of Ptah Champion of Sobek(SF05), Champion of Amun(TX05), Champion of Bast (TX05), Champion of Bast(SF06) Sasobek the Devouer of the Weak, Defender of Khepri (GenCon07), Champion of Ra(GenCon07)

Akori
Member: 577
Total Posts: 715
Posted: Friday, Aug 23, 2013 at 4:48 PM
A Heru Priest?! That is one bad mofo, more like a Warrior Priest! Attack Rating of 6 and Disc. of 8!

Guy could take down any other priest in the game and most Champions. Only better priest in melee is a Typhon Priest, Attack Rating 6 and Defense Rating 5. That being said watch out for a Sebeki Priest on the charge. Attack Rating of an 8, so charging they're 9!

---------------
Slayer of the Minotaur Lord of Knossos (S.D. '10), Savior of Calydon (S.D. '11)

Offler
Member: 334
Total Posts: 236
Posted: Friday, Aug 23, 2013 at 5:39 PM
Apologies for the digression, but one of the funniest memories I carry of my Sebeki warband was a game where, after accomplishing the mission early, my Priest spent the majority of that contest ruthlessly pursuing a Tethru Scribe around a table (obviously after the latter had 'published' a scathing critique some time in the past) (or possibly he just felt like eating chicken).

There were several near misses and never quite caught him, but it kept both of us highly amused as a sidelight to the main show.

(Do go the Heru Priest - a cracker of a character!)

---------------
Off with the Pharoahs at the bottom of the garden ...

Rathamon
Posted: Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 1:15 PM
Thanks again for all the tips. I finished my first batch of miniatures a couple of days ago and I took some shots of them. My starting warband is going to be 500 Points.

Harbinger of Horus, two-handed weapon, medium armor, Ka 2

10 Heru with polearms, medium armor, standard, musician

Master of Words

total: 486

photo newstuff026_zpsac999458.jpg

photo newstuff027_zpscd2af621.jpg

photo newstuff030_zpsa732aae8.jpg

photo newstuff029_zpsba4ac6cb.jpg

photo newstuff032_zps36fdd623.jpg

photo newstuff031_zpsce49df69.jpg

photo newstuff025_zps39cc9d1a.jpg

---------------

boltman201
Member: 1342
Total Posts: 79
Posted: Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Looking good. Love the black and grey feathers.

Rathamon
Posted: Saturday, Aug 31, 2013 at 7:51 PM Edited on 2013-08-31 19:52:47.0
Thanks, boltman201. I haven't been able to play any games yet, but I'm already looking at ways to expand my warband to 1000 points.

First of all, do people normally field units of ten warriors, or are bigger units the way to go? Should I expand my polearm warriors unit to 15?

For my second unit, I had originally considered archers, but with the new Olympus armies coming out, I don't see bow fire being very effective when half the units in the game are going to have large shields. Instead, I'm thinking about buying the Heru swordsmen unit, and equipping them with javelins, so I still have some missile fire when I need it, but on a unit that can hold its own in hand to hand combat. What are your thoughts, veteran players?

---------------

boltman201
Member: 1342
Total Posts: 79
Posted: Saturday, Aug 31, 2013 at 8:40 PM
I would say Asar archers so they count towards your heru point requirements but I haven't really played against Olympus with them. Another ally I like is the totanem. That way you can roll an artifex. I typically start with 11 that way its one more kill required before the check.

CBP3
High Tethru Investigator
Member: 55
Total Posts: 3016
Posted: Saturday, Aug 31, 2013 at 10:19 PM
Archers are a good unit, especially if the other guy has archers or slingers. And even though the hoplites will have large shields bowfire will sometimes get through. Better to whittle the oncoming unit down a bit before engaging with your own unit.

---------------
http://minismithsforge.blogspot.com/ http://shefdumabuki.blogspot.com/

CBP3
High Tethru Investigator
Member: 55
Total Posts: 3016
Posted: Saturday, Aug 31, 2013 at 10:20 PM Edited on 2013-08-31 22:21:28.0
Nice Heru, by the way.

---------------
http://minismithsforge.blogspot.com/ http://shefdumabuki.blogspot.com/

KevinE
Member: 329
Total Posts: 346
Posted: Sunday, Sep 01, 2013 at 1:42 AM
Archers can be useful against Olympus warbands.

In a recent game between my Basti and a Spartan warband my archers killed 3 of my opponent’s peltasts and at least 5 of his archers on turn 1. Both units failed their discipline saves and routed off the table.

Later in the game I was able to manoeuvre one of my archer units on to the flank of a Spartan hoplite unit and inflict 4 casualties with another volley.

Kevin

Rathamon
Posted: Wednesday, Sep 04, 2013 at 5:18 AM
You make a good point about targeting Greek ranged units, and flank shots. Although, to be fair, Basti archers are the very best of the best from what I can tell, so your results may not be typical for those of us who don't use them. I went ahead and ordered a Heru swordsman unit and some characters, but I'm not ruling out the possibility of including Heru archers at larger point values, where they are more likely to find an ideal target, and won't be taking too many points out of my close combat potential. Is it viable to not take allies? I'd rather play a pure Heru warband if possible for aesthetic reasons. Am I hurting myself by excluding other units?

---------------

Oceanborn
Member: 67
Total Posts: 622
Posted: Wednesday, Sep 04, 2013 at 6:50 AM
It is indeed viable to not take allies, and Heru are a force that is more than viable without taking Allies.

I wouldn't discount the archers too soon, however, as you may find that when you do run up against a force with archers that you suffer because you are being picked off before you can close. Heru archers with hand weapons are a viable option as they can shoot, but if someone gets too close you can use them in melee quite comfortably. That said, taking Javelins on your units (even on your polearm units although it does make them quite expensive in points) does provide you with options for ranged fire.

In my gaming group most warbands have 2 units of melee troops and one unit of missile troops as a base, with the remainder of the points made up with other options - my typical force consists of 2 Archer units, 1 melee unit and 1 skirmisher unit in 1500 points, but I am running Basti....in a Heru force I'd probably tend towards switching the numbers of archers and melee units around.

In terms of unit sizes, it really depends on how you want to structure your force - 15 models makes for a quite strong unit, but can be quite costly in points. I always have at least 12 models (sometimes including a character) in my units, but that suits my style of play, I do have the figures for units of 15 models for my melee troops, and if I were running a more melee-focussed army would be taking them.

Tau-Harakhty
Member: 2049
Total Posts: 1
Posted: Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 11:19 PM
The Heru are my bread and butter. I say go with Heru archers and give them swords. I can't tell you how many times that my archers were able to engage other enemy units in combat after they got a little too close for comfort. They hold there own and its nice having the option to go head to head with most other units. They have a decent missile rating so you really are not sacrificing much picking an all Heru warband.

Rathamon
Posted: Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 11:13 PM
I got my new miniatures in last week, and I finally got around to building and priming them tonight, so I'll have some pictures of them up on here by next week if all goes well. Classes aren't super busy right now, so I should have some time to work on them a bit every night.

---------------

Create Account | Visiting As: guest (US) | Log In
Terms of Service | Content & Artwork Copyright © 2010 Crocodile Games. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy