Board » Olympus

Posted By Topic » Allied "minor" City State or Mercenary Hoplites
Hektor
Group: Site Member
Member: 1921
Total Posts: 78
Posted: Saturday, Jul 06, 2013 at 11:56 AM
With all the major factions committed over the next, what, 18 months, I realize this may be a bit premature, but just wanted to throw it out there anyway. Obviously we have the ability to customize our phalanxes with shield variations, like the Myceneans with their three major cities or with battle honors, etc. Taking that a step further, would it be possible to make a generic hoplite set with separate heads/helmets? If there were a few helmet/crest variations available and some additional, non-faction aligned shield options (there are some really cool hoplon devices out there, or if one is really brave and has a steady hand you could free-hand paint them on a shield without any raised relief), then the possibilities for customization grow rapidly. That way people could make Achilles' Myrmidons, Ithakans under Odysseus, Ajax's troops, the Theban Sacred Band, on and on. Also opens up the story possibilities for campaigns.

As an aside, will other factions be able to take 'mercenary' phalanxes aside from the Corinthians?

Just a thought. I realize I could do this with hoplites from other manufacturers (and maybe will for the short term) but I'd much rather have said figs from the Croc if it were possible to do so.

---------------
Sometimes the gods bless you in the morning and curse you in the afternoon.

redben
Member: 1930
Total Posts: 54
Posted: Saturday, Jul 06, 2013 at 12:46 PM
I'd prefer it if CG were eventually able to introduce Thebes as a separate faction and do their own Myrmidons as well.

pyremius
Member: 29
Total Posts: 1530
Posted: Saturday, Jul 06, 2013 at 1:08 PM
I'm pretty sure I saw a reference to this in one of Chris' KickStarter posts as already being in the plan. I'm not sure exactly where, however, so it might take a bit of digging through both the forum and KickStarter to find it.

We already know there will be generic Peltast and Archer bodies, so a set of generic Peltast arms, and Captains for both units would round out a generic faction pretty easily.

Of course, first there's a lot of KickStarter sculpting to complete, plus additional monsters, the remainder of Mycenae 2, Corinth 2, and Athens 2. :)

Dawntreader
Member: 24
Total Posts: 340
Posted: Saturday, Jul 06, 2013 at 5:17 PM
To be fair, rather than just have generic hoplites for things like the Myrmidons, or the troops of Odysseus or something, I would prefer it if they eventually did the same as they did with the famous regiments in Aegyptus, that they got proper models sculpted for them, and a rules PDF or something. Would be interesting to see Chris's take on Myrmidon ant-people.

But yes, kickstarter stuff first. Especially the rulebook.

---------------
“Let me not then die ingloriously and without a struggle, but let me first do some great thing that shall be told among men hereafter.” ? Homer, The Iliad

Hektor
Posted: Saturday, Jul 06, 2013 at 6:07 PM
If specific, dedicated models could be made down the road for the Myrmidons and other famous units, like the Asar Warhawks, yes, that would indeed be optimal.

And definitely....first things first.

---------------

Osiris
Chief Croc, Lord Octoblob
Group: Administrator
Member: 2
Total Posts: 1665
Posted: Sunday, Jul 07, 2013 at 7:37 AM
Hektor said:
With all the major factions committed over the next, what, 18 months, I realize this may be a bit premature, but just wanted to throw it out there anyway. Obviously we have the ability to customize our phalanxes with shield variations, like the Myceneans with their three major cities or with battle honors, etc. Taking that a step further, would it be possible to make a generic hoplite set with separate heads/helmets? If there were a few helmet/crest variations available and some additional, non-faction aligned shield options (there are some really cool hoplon devices out there, or if one is really brave and has a steady hand you could free-hand paint them on a shield without any raised relief), then the possibilities for customization grow rapidly. That way people could make Achilles' Myrmidons, Ithakans under Odysseus, Ajax's troops, the Theban Sacred Band, on and on. Also opens up the story possibilities for campaigns.

As an aside, will other factions be able to take 'mercenary' phalanxes aside from the Corinthians?

Just a thought. I realize I could do this with hoplites from other manufacturers (and maybe will for the short term) but I'd much rather have said figs from the Croc if it were possible to do so.

I'd love to do a generic customizable phalanx (there will be some rules for custom factions in the book) but Tim and others are correct - I have a LOT of sculpting to do, so they may have to wait until next year sometime.

I may try to sneak in a single hoplite though, so we could have some photographed samples & examples in the rulebook -- if I do this, I'll let you guys know, as it would be great to get the WarGods community involved, with all of you guys painting/converting a single model to used for various mercenary units of other citystates. I envision a page in the book with a dozen or 2 of the same model, all converted and painted by different painters.

What say you guys?

Hektor
Posted: Sunday, Jul 07, 2013 at 9:18 AM
Count me in!

---------------

Wolf
Member: 937
Total Posts: 59
Posted: Sunday, Jul 07, 2013 at 9:39 AM
Me likey!

---------------
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"-Ben Franklin

Anstpuppet
Member: 888
Total Posts: 152
Posted: Sunday, Jul 07, 2013 at 11:37 AM
I would certainly be willing to jump in on that.

Akori
Member: 577
Total Posts: 715
Posted: Sunday, Jul 07, 2013 at 11:44 AM Edited on 2013-07-07 11:45:48.0
Oh great & I though I was finally going to finish my first phalanx of Spartans next month...

LET'S DO THIS!!!

Name the model and I'll start tomorrow!

---------------
Slayer of the Minotaur Lord of Knossos (S.D. '10), Savior of Calydon (S.D. '11)

Hyperion
Member: 1999
Total Posts: 2
Posted: Monday, Jul 08, 2013 at 2:42 PM
good plan - Theban sacred band could be a good candidate.

Asgard2502
Member: 1966
Total Posts: 47
Posted: Tuesday, Jul 09, 2013 at 12:13 AM
Game on!

---------------
Miniature Painting Studio and Hobby Blog www.fanplasticlittlemen.blogspot.co.uk

SlowLoris
Member: 603
Total Posts: 306
Posted: Tuesday, Jul 09, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Sounds Awesome, we haven't done anything like this for a while:)

Cheers

Stu

Swiss Toni
King of Troy
Member: 79
Total Posts: 149
Posted: Sunday, Jul 14, 2013 at 12:59 PM
I'm in too

VanHel
Member: 108
Total Posts: 17
Posted: Sunday, Jul 14, 2013 at 4:27 PM
I'd be up for it

powerfrog99
Member: 1916
Total Posts: 75
Posted: Monday, Jul 15, 2013 at 1:57 PM
That sounds like a brilliant idea to me, I'm in.

cheers Thomas

---------------
Want to see painted Croc minis? Take a look at http://www.dieplatt.de or check out my Gallery at http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;u=2521

Create Account | Visiting As: guest (US) | Log In
Terms of Service | Content & Artwork Copyright © 2010 Crocodile Games. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy