Board » Croc Events

Posted By Topic » Cancon 2011
Akenatum
Group: Site Member
Member: 1207
Total Posts: 174
Posted: Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 4:20 AM
has to happen on a year I wont be there.... and Fenrihr I'd be shocked if you don't walk away with one.

Zepnix Wargames
Member: 1102
Total Posts: 67
Posted: Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 4:58 AM
they were supposed to be there last year... but I messed them up. - so had to get 'em this year.

Plan is to get something similar for every CanCon event I support (which will be every one that the TO approaches me for). (and prolly any other Oz event you guys want me to help with)

---------------
-- Zepnix Wargames : The BEST supplier of Wargaming and Hobby Supplies in country Victoria www.zepnix.com - "Ivory (VP918), it's the new white!"

stormcricket
Member: 90
Total Posts: 139
Posted: Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 9:04 AM
ooh, ooh I want one too.

Zepnix Wargames
Posted: Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 8:47 PM
well- 5 medals- 14 players- nobody is allowed more than 1... so odds are good... if you win games, or paint all your figures, then your chances are even better....

---------------
-- Zepnix Wargames : The BEST supplier of Wargaming and Hobby Supplies in country Victoria www.zepnix.com - "Ivory (VP918), it's the new white!"

rabbitz
Member: 784
Total Posts: 52
Posted: Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 6:51 PM
I am so sad right now, Maybe if I start saving for next year and beg the boss early enough I will be able to make it to 2012 .

Zepnix Wargames
Posted: Friday, Jan 21, 2011 at 5:53 AM
well I'm at the motel up the road from the venue- the medals are in the car outside- so they have been remembered...

---------------

Zepnix Wargames
Posted: Saturday, Jan 22, 2011 at 2:10 PM
Well- I managed to see a little bit of day 1 yesterday- looking fun. Have heard a few reviews... sounds fun as well. - loking forward to Day 2- which starts in a couple of hours.

---------------

Akenatum
Posted: Sunday, Jan 23, 2011 at 4:38 AM
Can't wait to find out the results gonna be watching this spot next few days if anyone has any highlights they want to share before hand feel free to shout em out.

Oceanborn
Member: 67
Total Posts: 622
Posted: Sunday, Jan 23, 2011 at 5:57 AM
Very brief set of results (I'm a bit tired & need sleep...)

First Overall - Nick (Fenrihr)
Second Overall - Peter
Third Overall - Tim (prize went to Barry as Tim also won best painted)

First General - Nick
Second General - Peter
Third General - Darcy (received the prize)

First painted - Tim
Second Painted - Barry (prize went to Chris who was 4th painted)
Third Painted- Nick

Best sport - Shane
Second sport - Tim
Third sport - Murray

Bringer of Tranquil Waters - Chris (with undead!?)

Fenrihr
Member: 92
Total Posts: 144
Posted: Monday, Jan 24, 2011 at 6:31 PM
Cancon was great fun - as always.

The prize Oceanborn forgot to mention was the one for most monumentally stupid decision of the weekend... which went to a certain harbinger of Bast for charging into provication with a harbinger of Thoth, who happened to have Feiry Aspect on and was already engaged in melee with a hero with only 1 wnd left.

Note to self - if the bird is on fire, leave it alone... even if it is a rear charge and you have Leonine Mein.

Facing off against two Titan warbands was an interesting experience. They still scare the heck out of me... but I did find their weakness. If you keep your distance and don't let them engage you in melee, then they are pretty suseptable to missile fire. Of course, having a chariot and skirmisher based army certainly helped with the whole keep-your-distance thing.

I just wanted to add a huge thanks to Oceanborn for running the show this year. Also to Zepnix Wargames for their generous support... and finally to everyone who turned up - especially to those who travelled from Victoria, Sydeny and Newcastle.

---------------
Morituri Nolumus Mori.. - ..we who are about to die don't want to

Nebseni Hammerhand
Member: 231
Total Posts: 1378
Posted: Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 7:57 PM
Home and able to post...

Thanks Mark for running everything, and coming up with interesting and challanging scenarios and thanks to all my opponents for making it a relatively stress free comp.

Photos to follow... including the infamous hippo-chariots!

Shadowaxe
Member: 518
Total Posts: 222
Posted: Wednesday, Jan 26, 2011 at 1:39 AM
Hippo-chariots? Now this I HAVE to see!

Sounds like an excellent tournament - looking forward to seeing and reading more!

---------------
Ax Faction.com - Hunting Doom-mongery in miniature

Zepnix Wargames
Posted: Wednesday, Jan 26, 2011 at 11:34 PM
sounded pretty awesome- unfortunately I didn't get to see much of it. (spent most of it chained to the stall)

---------------

Fenrihr
Posted: Friday, Jan 28, 2011 at 5:11 AM Edited on 2011-01-28 05:34:39.0
It was. Of course, I can only speak and share from my own corner of the world, where most of my battle plans went... well... according to plan.

As I alluded to earlier; facing off against the Titans was interesting. Initially they scared me to death. In my first game – not only against the Titans, but also of the tournament, I was more than a little intimidated by them. With the overlord standing proud on the field, and my harbinger barely coming up to his knee, I thought I had reason to.

However, by turn three he was a crumpled heap upon the ground resembling a pin cushion (can anyone say “arrow magnet”?) Once my chariots got up to speed the Titans didn’t know which way to turn... and with four chariots racing around the field, it didn’t matter which way they did turn because they couldn’t avoid a chariot slamming them from behind. I think I lost four models that game – for the loss of the entire Titan warband (which amounted to a whole 13 models).

My second game of the day was against the Eaters. All I had to do was get one of three runners/messengers off the opposite end of the board... and given I was playing basti, outrunning undead – let’s just say the advantage was mine adn all three made it home. I even got my sebeki messenger off the board (okay, the fact I had given my one unit of non-basti (a unit of sebeki) all amulets of bast might have helped there). There was also provocation. There was a dead Dark Harbinger... er... a deader Dark Harbinger.

My final game of the first day was a complete disaster though... and I have no-one but myself to blame. The scenario was a race down the length of the board towards an oasis (or stretch of river in our case). I went up against a harbinger of Thoth who also had a very chariot heavy army (he had three chariots to my four). I had the advantage. I held the objective (just – but held). I had blocked his army off at the ford, with my slow moving skirmishers hounding his flanks. His harbinger was isolated, locked in combat with my hero. My harbinger stood right behind him, mere inches away... let this be a cautionary tale to all who read this...

Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever charge a harbinger who has an active Fiery Aspect cast.

Seconds later there was one crispy kitty and I had lost the objective, a ka level and my army was in rout :-(

...and I'm pretty sure the Harbinger of Thoth still ins't quite sure what happened...

---------------

Fenrihr
Posted: Friday, Jan 28, 2011 at 5:12 AM
Day Two

My first game of day two was against a sebeki warband. The hippo chariots were just awesome – Nebseni’s imagination and conversion skills, not to mention sense of humour... well, let’s just say a picture tells a thousand words, so you’ll have to wait for the photos (hint hint Barry). Again my chariots played an important role, one of them leading one of his Beloveds a merry chase around the board... I could almost picture the basti hero leaning off the back of the chariot, holding a fish out calling to lure the slavering Beloved along behind... always j u s t out of reach (he did lose one wound to a half inch miscalculation... I called him Lefty after that). Having said that, the sebeki gave as good as they got, and it was probably my lowest scoring game all weekend.

Game two – meet the Spartans. I helped them go home on their shields. Again, chariots ruled the day. I managed to hit two of his hoplite units while they were caught in column, with predictable results. His demigod, reduced to one wound (honest, I thought he’d enjoy fighting in the shade!) sought refuge behind his remaining phalanx... but leopard’s leap made a mockery of that hiding spot, and vitriolic mocking made sure that early then next turn I regained the ka level I lost yesterday afternoon. The Spartans died heroically to the last man (aside from the four who drowned in the flood)

The final game was another game against the other Titan warband. I have to admit that this game was a repeat of the first... expect worse. By the end of turn three I had destroyed his entire warband, except for one lone Master, who only lasted another turn before sharing the fate of his fellows... and the only casualty I suffered was one of my Harbinger’s [ka power gifted] lions.

I do have to admit that this last game was pure luck, not skill... and Tim was robbed. He couldn’t roll an armour save on his Overlord to save himself – even with the help of Defy Fate... and then he couldn’t pass a single route save. Just to add insult to injury all my chariots happened to be only inches from his army and on charge orders... it was a bit of a do-or-die moment for my army ... and I was expecting to do a lot of dying.

---------------

Fenrihr
Posted: Friday, Jan 28, 2011 at 5:13 AM Edited on 2011-01-28 05:27:59.0
For the record my army list for Cancon

• Harbinger of bast, riding in a chariot
  • 3x basti heroes, also in chariots
  • Priest of bast (leading archers)
  • Sebeki hero (leading sebeki... at least on turn one)
  • 12x basti skirmishers – my main melee unit
  • 15x basti archers - awesome against Titan Overlords... meh against everyone else
  • 6x sebeki skirmishers – my Weapon of Mass Distraction
  • ---------------

Nebseni Hammerhand
    Posted: Friday, Jan 28, 2011 at 2:04 PM
    There are now a few photos of the sebeki hippo chariots in Miniatures and Painting...

Nebseni Hammerhand
    Posted: Friday, Jan 28, 2011 at 3:34 PM
    For reference, Leviathan will be 16th/17th April (A week after the discworld convention)

I'll probably be continuing the storyline from MOAB last year, the Kharga oasis is still in peril.

sandfly
    The Wizard of Oz
    Member: 33
    Total Posts: 1467
    Posted: Saturday, Jan 29, 2011 at 1:59 AM
    Well done running the event OB.... I know it would have been great... I most sincerely regret that it could be a couple of years yet before I get to attend another Cancon - or any Aussie tournie for that matter - as I could be dropping anchor in Poland for the next couple of years.

Zepnix Wargames
    Posted: Saturday, Jan 29, 2011 at 10:27 PM
    Fenrihr said:
    ... I do have to admit that this last game was pure luck, not skill... and Tim was robbed. He couldn’t roll an armour save on his Overlord to save himself – even with the help of Defy Fate... and then he couldn’t pass a single route save. Just to add insult to injury all my chariots happened to be only inches from his army and on charge orders... it was a bit of a do-or-die moment for my army ... and I was expecting to do a lot of dying.
    Tim weren't robbed... he deserves every last bit of loss he can squeeze out of a tournament.... heh heh heh heh....

---------------

Zepnix Wargames
    Posted: Saturday, Jan 29, 2011 at 10:28 PM
    Also- looking at anything for Wintercon in canberra? - they're asking me if I'm interested in a trader space there... if there's a Wargods comp to support- I think I'll make the effort...

---------------

Zepnix Wargames
    Posted: Saturday, Jan 29, 2011 at 10:32 PM
    And Fenrihr - Sebeki skirmishers... nice... - any pix? - have had some ideas about converting some differently armed Sebeki... (those damned two handed hammers precluding skirmish formation- and so many of the sculpts would require more resculpting than I can be bothered with).

---------------

Fenrihr
    Posted: Sunday, Jan 30, 2011 at 3:40 AM
    Sorry, no pics handy (might see if I can do something about that)... although the conversions were pretty simple - basically little more than just a weapon swap.

I clipped off the two handed weapons, replacing them with a hand weapon (mostly maces from the weapons packs) and suitably oversized shields. There was some minor arm repositioning as well - which was done by twisting wrists and elbows rather than cutting.

---------------

Oceanborn
    Member: 67
    Total Posts: 622
    Posted: Sunday, Jan 30, 2011 at 4:18 AM
    Not sure about wintercon at this stage - we'll have a chat locally to see what we can figure out

I may make it up to Leviathan this year, depends on what else is happening for me, although I would like to get there with the wendigo :-)

Akenatum
    Posted: Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 3:02 AM
    Levi should be good for me 2 weekends before i go to europe so hoping for some fun :)

hazpak
    Member: 194
    Total Posts: 364
    Posted: Thursday, Feb 03, 2011 at 11:46 PM
    rats - i'm in NZ when Leviathon is on

Oh well maybe MOAB

---------------
    There is no spoon - just sporks

Nebseni Hammerhand
    Posted: Wednesday, Feb 09, 2011 at 2:08 PM
    For those who didn't get one at the event, I've got the rest of the event minis (actually arrived last week but it's been a busy time at work and I've been pretty stuffed in the evenings)

There are 4 off 2010 - Totanem Artifex, 2 off 2009 Mysterious Stranger and 2 off 2007 Basti gamers

If you didn't get an event mini at Cancon, post a message here with which one you want. First come best dressed. Then we'll work out how to get them to you depending on where you are. :)

Create Account | Visiting As: guest (US) | Log In
    Terms of Service | Content & Artwork Copyright © 2010 Crocodile Games. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy