Board » Aegyptus

Posted By Topic » Osiris! We Need New Life!!!! Resurrect us!!!!
Ranzimus
Group: Site Member
Member: 148
Total Posts: 200
Posted: Saturday, Mar 10, 2012 at 3:47 PM Edited on 2012-03-10 17:24:49.0
Wargods is a GREAT game. Unlike other systems, Wargods gets better with new editions. The rules are very good and there are many competitive builds. The story and campaign elements only add to this. I can get my friends to play Wargods with me, but not excited enough to play with anyone else IF they could find anyone. That is sad.

Wargods was never so popular as when there were tournaments. The fact that these events were held only at HMGS Historicon/Fall-in and Cold Wars as well as Gencon and maybe Origins was limiting but better than when they were dropped and replaced with the campaign. Merging with the campaign would have been better.

Bitching about something without offering potential solutions and assistance is useless. I propose holding a great event at Gencon this year. Having great prizes is fine in addition to the con-figure. I would say that even with the declining interest, we could get a couple dozen entrants and get some buzz. Do that and announce a series of events around the world and we can get some interest from those who continue to suffer from "Battered Gamer Syndrome" --- "This time they've changed!!!!" (GW) and cry out for a better competitive game.

Instead of "Camp Followers" let us form a band of Heralds or call us Harbingers and lead, not follow. I would pledge to arrange and run two events in the albany area and to attend Gencon and any others on the East Coast within reason, each year. I could do that now, but without something to point to as a competitive environment, there would be few takers. I am through with my writing for Spinespur and not doing any testing for Warmachine in the near future and would happily draft "Warbands of Aegyptus" (Or Olympus or Valhalla) to be used as a skirmish game gateway drug to our favorite game.

We need some excitement and competition brings that. The rules for our game are not anywhere near as exploitable as much more popular games suffer from and our core playerbase is full of cool guys and gals. The Heralds would work for free of course, receiving reward in seeing the game and playerbase/opponent base grow. We would even pay for our obligatory Tee-Shirts. :) We owe this to ourselves and the next generation of gamers who languish with no good option for a rank and file battle game as well as to Fitz and his lovely new bride!

Who is with me?

Anstpuppet
Member: 888
Total Posts: 152
Posted: Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 9:36 PM
I am with you. I am not sure how much I can do here in Central Florida as there is no community here at all, but I can try. And I have the connections to at least give it a solid go.

I would gladly join on for this effort. I just need to finish off painting two warbands, at the very least. I would gladly pay for a t-shirt if they were made. We need to get his game going strong again.

I love Aegyptus and have the makings of at least 3 warbands. I dig the Wendigo and am almost done collecting up that faction. My main focus right now is Olympus, where I think I am shy like 4 models, give or take. I really dig Olympus. But I would love to see Croc get enough momentum to at least tackle Valhalla at some point. I want to see Vikings throwing axes at Basti and Sebeki. I want to see a Viking shield wall crash into a phalanx. The sooner the game picks back up, the sooner we can get more shiny, pretty metal to buy, collect, paint, display, and play with.

Ranzimus
Posted: Monday, Mar 12, 2012 at 11:11 PM
Well said!

There is no other decent rank and file game available right now outside of dead games like Clan War and Ragnarok (Unless you count historicals). Get a friend or better yet, two. Give them each an army and a description and let it rip. Warlord is a very intuitive game if a wargamer is handed an army and told the basics, they can easily learn on the fly. The buy in for even 1500 points is not very high. Give them a demo and get a group of six or so to start an escalation campaign. Start w 600 points and add 300 a month or whatever suits your group. :)

Ranzimus
Posted: Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 8:37 AM
In addition to Aegyptian/Olympian demos, I am preparing a fantasy demo. Keeping it simple, I use Totanem for Dwarfs, Basti for Elfs aND Sobeki for Chaos. I am also thinking of Wendigo for Orcs. The reason is that fantasy figs have a broad appeal and any gamer has some. Hopefully I will get this started in the next week or so.

Anstpuppet
Member: 888
Total Posts: 152
Posted: Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 1:33 PM
Sounds like a good idea. I could never get into the fantasy rules even when I ran a game store. I gave a go to 40k and LotR, both were alright. I just could not get into WH Fantasy. I like some of the fluff, but the rules and GW's models are so hit or miss. I guess you solved problem number two at least.

Swiss Toni
King of Troy
Member: 79
Total Posts: 149
Posted: Tuesday, Mar 20, 2012 at 10:12 AM
Good initiative Ranzimus, I think this has been too long coming.

As far as I can help from Switzerland, I will. I am occasionally in the US/UK, and there are/were at least a few players in Germany and France. Anyone up for a Europa League ? Anyone up for Salute in London ?

I will be at KublaCon again this year if anyone in the San Francisco region wants to help. We can run a display game, as I have a very large collection of Wargods, nicely painted too (not by me).

Ian

Ranzimus
Posted: Wednesday, Mar 21, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Well said Ian!

I will run an event in the Fall in the ALbany NY area and use the Wendigo book and the Greek figs as bait to get people interested.

Swiss Toni
King of Troy
Member: 79
Total Posts: 149
Posted: Friday, Mar 30, 2012 at 10:50 AM
I am running Demo Games at KublaCon on the Friday and Saturday of Memorial Weekend.

Ian

Ranzimus
Posted: Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 9:13 AM
Good luck sir! I am losing faith. This thread is three weeks old with no response. I think the game may need a rebranding: "Wargods of Apathy."

Akori
Member: 577
Total Posts: 715
Posted: Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 12:05 PM
No need to lose faith Ranzimus.

Here in San Diego we have a campaign going with 7 strong and the occasional 8th. We have demos planned all day Saturday the 14th at Kingdom Con and a finale schedule for that Saturday night.

All in the So Cal area are welcome to join,especially for the finale! If you're interested PM me or Tjaroy. We would always love to have more players.

Wyatt, I know you're nearby, any chance you can come down and play? Ares, Anubis, what about you two?

---------------
Slayer of the Minotaur Lord of Knossos (S.D. '10), Savior of Calydon (S.D. '11)

robertsjf
Member: 671
Total Posts: 14
Posted: Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 8:18 PM
Ranzimus said:
Good luck sir! I am losing faith. This thread is three weeks old with no response. I think the game may need a rebranding: "Wargods of Apathy."
Ranz, you got 404 views. Not everyone who thinks "that's a great idea" and goes off to implement something is necessarily going to post.

That being said, what factions are going to be featured in this "Wargods of Apathy"?

Mordante
Member: 1205
Total Posts: 90
Posted: Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 8:38 PM
We're planning our next local campaign (invasion of the S'syth and the return of Apophis). I also gave my older rulebook to someone who I'm pretty confident is going to get a Sebeki warband and join our group. A few people at a time...

DaveL
Member: 18
Total Posts: 670
Posted: Friday, Mar 23, 2018 at 9:28 AM
I’ll be at Gen Con and if something like the very friendly WarGods campaign end games were to break out, I could guarantee myself and maybe at least two or three others would play.

Ranzimus, In response to your “WarGods of Apathy” post, I wonder how many even log in to the WarGods Forum on a regular basis anymore. I even wonder if Osiris (Fitz) or Hecate (Felicity) log in on a regular basis. There is a Facebook Wargods presence, but having myself just recently started following it, I don’t know how active it is either. If we can’t get the Gods involved, I don’t know how far this might go.

I know Crocodile Games has shared a booth at the last two Gen Cons, so there might be some hope there.

elpasopete
Member: 126
Total Posts: 81
Posted: Friday, Mar 23, 2018 at 9:43 PM
I am going to GenCon as well as two others who play Wargods. Maybe Fitz can be encouraged to play too.

Pete

Create Account | Visiting As: guest (US) | Log In
Terms of Service | Content & Artwork Copyright © 2010 Crocodile Games. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy