Board » Aegyptus

Posted By Topic » First Time in the Desert
Karthos the Watcher
Group: Site Member
Member: 13727
Total Posts: 5
Posted: Monday, Jul 20, 2020 at 12:24 AM Edited on 2020-07-20 00:28:49.0
I recently found my rulebook for WarGods and decided that I'd like to get into it. Does this work for a starting warband?

Karthos the Watcher, Typhon Harbinger of Set (1 Ka) (132 points) Equipment: Double-handed weapon, hand weapon, medium armour

The Predators (11 Typhon Warriors) (229 points) Equipment: Swords, shields, light armour, standard bearer, musician

Allows: Ankhwah the Predator, Typhon Champion (36 points) Equipment: Sword, shield, light armour

#, Typhon Assassin (100 points) Equipment: Poisoned dagger, medium armour

The Hunters (11 Typhon Warriors) (262 points) Equipment: Swords, shields, light armour, standard bearer, musician

Allows: #, Typhon Champion (39 points) Equipment: Spear, shield, light armour

#, Asar Priest of Set (41 points) Equipment: Sword, shield, medium armour, 1 amulet (given to Karthos)

The Guardians of Ma’at (10 Tethru Warriors) (130 points) Equipment: Bows

Allows: #, Tethru Scribe (25 points) Equipment: Board, parchment, quills, ink

(The #s indicate that the characters aren't yet named. Also, it's only 994 points: any ideas what to spend the last 6 on?)

Oceanborn
Member: 67
Total Posts: 622
Posted: Tuesday, Jul 21, 2020 at 6:23 AM
It really depends on what types of games you are expecting to be playing. If you aren't playing a campaign, and are just using the warband in one-off games then the Tethru Scribe adds little value as their special abilities only really apply in those circumstances.

If you're just planning out a warband but don't have a regular opponent I would actually recommend you build to a 1200 points limit rather than 1000 - it would give you enough points to take a Tethru master of words instead of the Scribe - as I would also not be recommending that you drop any of your units to make other changes

If you don't want to increase your points, then dropping the Assassin and Scribe to get the 100 points necessary for the Master of Words (and give him medium armour + Double-handed weapon), the use the 25 points you have left over to give one of your two units (plus the attached characters) javelins.

In terms of equipping your harbinger, the way he is currently equipped he will fall very quickly to Missile fire unless you have him in one of the units (generally it is not advisable to run your harbinger around alone, they do better when attached to a unit or mounted on chariot)

It really comes down to how you think you'll use the various models in the warband, but with Typhon and 1000pts you are significantly limited in how much you can do. If you wanted to save some points you could swap one unit of Typhon out for Asar, which would then allow you to up the armour on at least one, if not both, units

Karthos the Watcher
Posted: Tuesday, Jul 21, 2020 at 7:15 PM
I'm hoping to be able to play in a campaign, but I don't have anything together for it.

I probably should put more resources towards protecting the Harbinger, but do I need a sorcerer?

Ducat
Member: 768
Total Posts: 152
Posted: Wednesday, Jul 22, 2020 at 2:52 AM
Master of words and witches are good, but not essential.

I have run many warbands without a sorcerer, and they work just fine.

Your list looks fine, and has a good core with the Typhon elements you have chosen.

The tethru section looks a bit of a thrown on addition however, just to add some ranged support.

You could consider dropping them and the priest, and that leaves you 202 points to play with.

Typhon have just had an archer unit added, which with light armour, comes in at a nice 200pts.

Another option could be to look at starting at 1200pts. This is the starting cost suggested for Olympus warbands, and so brings you more in line for playing against them, opening to potentially more opponents.

Oceanborn
Posted: Wednesday, Jul 22, 2020 at 5:19 PM
Sorcerers are not necessary - I very regularly play warbands without one, but I definitely agree that the Tethru look like an add-on to get some ranged support, hence suggesting the Tethru Master of Words instead (they're the best one in the game)

Even if you are planning on running a campaign it's probably a good idea to build a warband to get a few games in under your belt before you start on a campaign, gives you a chance to learn the core rules and how to run your warband before needing to worry about things like casualty buy-back etc.

Karthos the Watcher
Posted: Thursday, Jul 23, 2020 at 6:55 PM
The reason why I picked a Tethru archer unit, rather than a Typhon one, is because:

1. They give the Scribe, who seems incredibly useful in campaign games, and, 2. A Tethru with a bow costs as much as an unarmed Typhon, while having the same skill with it.

But I do agree that they're a little bit tacked on, and I can definitely drop the Priest, since I picked them more because they were in the warband box than out of any actual need to have them in my force.

If I was to go to 1200pts, what should I add?

Ducat
Member: 768
Total Posts: 152
Posted: Friday, Jul 24, 2020 at 4:01 PM
Dont be discourages with the Tethru. It is your warband.

at 1000pts I would still look at dropping the priest, and perhaps the scribe, and using the points to bolster the tethrus gear.

typhon Harbinger - Great weapon, hand weapon, medium armour 11 typhon Warriors and 1 champion - hand weapon, shield, light armour s/m 11 typhon Warriors and 1 champion - spear, large shield, light armour s/m typhon Assassin 10 tethru warriors - Great weapon, bow, light armour, s/m

Thats exactly 1000pts for example, and gives a good mix of characters and units at that point size.

Taking it up to 1200, you could add: Lots of choice what to do here, so you need to work out what you want, some suggestions would be:

a typhon master of words, a tethru scribe, and maybe a chariot for your warlord to ride in. Or a typhon master of words, a tethru scribe, and upgrade your champions to heros. Or A unit of asar slingers and the asar priest of set, with an amulet for your Harbinger, and a sling so he can guide, and add to, the asar fire

Karthos the Watcher
Posted: Wednesday, Jul 29, 2020 at 10:24 AM
At 1200 points, I think I'd add a chariot for my Harbinger, and possibly a second normal chariot. Not sure what else I'd get, though.

I think I want to keep the scribe in, since it looks like they'd pay for themselves quite quickly in campaign play.

What do people think of wheel scythes? Are they a good investment in devastation, or just a waste of points?

Oceanborn
Posted: Wednesday, Aug 05, 2020 at 5:11 AM
As much as the scribe is useful in campaign play, unfortunately he is only really useful in campaign play, so if you don't have a campaign to play in the points could be better spent elsewhere - absolutely nothing wrong with taking the Tethru, I'd just use the character choice to put a Tethru Master of Words in - 9 spells and 18 spell points is significant!

Wheels scythes can be good if you're able to pull off passing attacks and don't get tempted into charging the chariot into units. Realistically they add a bit of character (Attack Rating 2 means that they're 7s to hit against Tethru, 8s against most other units and 9s against Anubi) to the units but statistically unlikely to cause huge amounts of damage.

Karthos the Watcher
Posted: Saturday, Aug 29, 2020 at 8:46 PM
Updated list:

Karthos the Watcher, Typhon Harbinger of Set (1 Ka) (132 points) Equipment: Double-handed weapon, hand weapon, medium armour

The Predators (11 Typhon Warriors) (251 points) Equipment: Swords, shields, javelins, light armour, standard bearer, musician

Allows: Ankhwah the Predator, Typhon Champion (38 points) Equipment: Sword, shield, javelins, light armour

#, Typhon Assassin (100 points) Equipment: Poisoned dagger, medium armour

The Hunters (11 Typhon Warriors) (262 points) Equipment: Swords, shields, light armour, standard bearer, musician

Allows: #, Typhon Champion (39 points) Equipment: Spear, shield, light armour

Cyrus, Typhon Priest of Set (41 points) Equipment: Sword, shield, medium armour, 1 amulet (given to Karthos)

The Guardians of Ma’at (10 Tethru Warriors) (150 points) Equipment: Bows, two-handed swords

Allows: #, Tethru Scribe (25 points) Equipment: Board, parchment, quills, ink

Chariot Crewed by one Typhon warrior with two-handed weapon and medium armour; passenger is Karthos; fitted with wheel scythes.

Chariot Crewed by two Typhon warriors with hand weapons and light armour.

That comes to 1200 points exactly. Any thoughts on the new list?

(For tournament play, I'd probably drop the Scribe and the second Chariot in favour of a Tethru Master of Words. I've also been thinking about replacing the Predator's shields with a second hand weapon; would that be a good idea?)

Oceanborn
Posted: Thursday, Sep 03, 2020 at 8:14 PM
Apart from encouraging you to put a character into the second chariot (even the priest) instead of a single typhon warrior, it looks pretty good to me.

Create Account | Visiting As: guest (US) | Log In
Terms of Service | Content & Artwork Copyright © 2010 Crocodile Games. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy