Board » Hyperborea

Posted By Topic » Frost Maidens
Akenatum
Group: Site Member
Member: 1207
Total Posts: 174
Posted: Thursday, Sep 02, 2010 at 9:19 PM
Hi just currious as to if there is any plans regarding the sculpting of the frost maidens, or are they not on the books to be seen in the next 6months to a year?

Wendigo Warrior
Member: 1249
Total Posts: 15
Posted: Thursday, Oct 14, 2010 at 9:12 AM
Ok, now we need an update on these ladies :) We need between 6 & 12 of them :)

---------------
A long howl rides the frigid winds from the north.

Akenatum
Posted: Saturday, Oct 23, 2010 at 2:36 AM
Yes I would also like an update on if they are planned for within the next 6 months otherwise i'll be organising alternate models from somewhere....

other thing i would like to check on is to confirm if the rune of Protection is intended for wendigo only or if I could in fact put it on a unit of frost maidens for example.

Mordante
Member: 1205
Total Posts: 90
Posted: Saturday, Oct 23, 2010 at 2:17 PM
The descriptions of the runestones say that they effect "the wendigo who carries it." The Ice witch specifically says she can be equipped with rune stones, but the frost maidens do not say that, so I think they are out of luck.

Osiris
Chief Croc, Lord Octoblob
Group: Administrator
Member: 2
Total Posts: 1665
Posted: Saturday, Oct 23, 2010 at 8:51 PM
I'm planning on starting either the Frostmaidens or the War Sled this winter.

Frostmaidens can take no extra equipment other than a standard and musician.

Wendigo Warrior
Member: 1249
Total Posts: 15
Posted: Friday, Oct 29, 2010 at 8:54 AM
My vote is the Frostmaiden's first. They will be more immediately useful I think...

---------------
A long howl rides the frigid winds from the north.

KevinE
Member: 329
Total Posts: 346
Posted: Sunday, Oct 31, 2010 at 1:19 PM
I'd also vote for Frostmaidens first please.

Kevin

Akenatum
Posted: Monday, Nov 01, 2010 at 3:58 AM
I would like to sing on into that frostmaidens first bandwagon if i could please.

CBP3
High Tethru Investigator
Member: 55
Total Posts: 3016
Posted: Monday, Nov 01, 2010 at 5:53 PM
Why would anybody want Frost Maidens?

---------------
http://minismithsforge.blogspot.com/ http://shefdumabuki.blogspot.com/

Anubis
Writer
Member: 9
Total Posts: 1044
Posted: Tuesday, Dec 21, 2010 at 2:18 AM
I'm glad to see people are looking forward to the Frostmaidens! Not only do they promise to be amazing models (has Fitz ever sculpted a female mini that wasn't?), I'm looking forward to 'em myself for a different reason.

After Fitz came up with the concept for them, I was extremely gratified that he let me take the first couple of passes at designing their rules and background. Of course, he went back in and balanced them out a little afterward -- I might've gone a little overboard! -- but since 90% of everything I've done for the Croc has been writing fiction and fluff text, it was pretty exciting to try my hand at the story and mechanics of an entirely new type of troop for the game.

So thanks, Fitz ... and I hope that everyone has as much fun playing with the Frostmaidens as they will painting 'em!

Akenatum
Posted: Saturday, Mar 12, 2011 at 10:01 PM
So out of curiosity are forst maidens on the sculpting board?

Mordante
Member: 1205
Total Posts: 90
Posted: Monday, Mar 14, 2011 at 9:01 PM
So since there are no details on the models themselves, lets talk about the rules. I played 2 games this weekend and I'm convinced I'm not playing them correctly. They are so fragile that I really never want to get them into combat. It seems they are there really just to give the Ice Witch extra Ka. Now, that can be good, don't get me wrong, but for 30pts each, they seem like they should have a better stat line. I joined my witch to them and moved them up the field, jumping my witch out when she needed to go do her own thing. God into 2 fights with them 1 in each game, and did not make it past the first melee. I guess I need to just keep them in the back, but within range to let the ice witch "feed" off of them.

Any other ideas what to do with these women? Are they worth more than the Snowbeast? At this point I'm leaning towards dropping them and bringing the beast back...

Akori
Member: 577
Total Posts: 715
Posted: Monday, Mar 14, 2011 at 11:28 PM
I take it their "Entrancement" ability never set off? Still, at 2 #Att. each they should be keeping up for at least the first round of melee.

That being said, I think they're more for the sacrificing. Yeah, you can run them in a unit of 10, but the ability to regain Ka is HUGE. It is the only way to do so in the game w/o provocation (which generally yields no Ka either if your opponent has brains), & boy does the little fragile witchie need it! They are more of a support unit, that the Witch can join. Combo them with Thief of Breath, Firefrost, or Cold Winter & alwasy keep them within 12. Being able to draw from the unit while in provocation, to keep gaining Ka to reroll things is game changing! I think the trick is to sacrifice your Maidens before you burn any of your starting Ka, that way you can reroll the North Wind disfavor die roll if you roll too low...

---------------
Slayer of the Minotaur Lord of Knossos (S.D. '10), Savior of Calydon (S.D. '11)

Akenatum
Posted: Saturday, Aug 20, 2011 at 11:02 AM
Just a bump to find out if these are on the list of things too do after croc tales7 and the myceneans?

Priest of Poseidon
Member: 73
Total Posts: 106
Posted: Thursday, Nov 24, 2011 at 7:05 PM
Akori said:
Being able to draw from the unit while in provocation, to keep gaining Ka to reroll things is game changing!
I'm not sure you can do that. I agree it would be game-changing, but once in the provocation, Harbingers are removed from what's happening in the rest of the battlespace. I would like to think about clarifying that. I like to house rule that Strategos and Battle Sage advice (initiative bonus) doesn't work in the provocation either.

Priest of Poseidon
Member: 73
Total Posts: 106
Posted: Saturday, Jan 28, 2012 at 10:59 PM
Oh yes, and I vote for frostmaidens too.

Create Account | Visiting As: guest (US) | Log In
Terms of Service | Content & Artwork Copyright © 2010 Crocodile Games. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy