Board » Croc Events

Posted By Topic » Wargods at MOAB?
Offler
Group: Site Member
Member: 334
Total Posts: 236
Posted: Thursday, Jul 07, 2011 at 4:33 AM
Having just returned from my annual AFL pilgrimage to Melbourne - where one of the highlights was seeing the simply breathtaking Tutankhamun exhibition at the Victoria Museum - I now feel the need to feel the sands of AEgyptus beneath my toes.

Or - far more likely - through the pewtered digits of my Avatars' minions and various assorted associated sycophants.

I noticed that the MOAB website has now arisen from its year long hibernation and that there are very few actual events announced so far.

Are there any plans for a Wargods' tournament? (I couldn't think of a much better way to enjoy my birthday that weekend!)

---------------
Off with the Pharoahs at the bottom of the garden ...

Nebseni Hammerhand
Member: 231
Total Posts: 1378
Posted: Saturday, Jul 09, 2011 at 4:06 PM
If I build it, will they come?

You only just beat me to it posting-wise. I got an email from the MOAB organisers a few days ago asking if I was going to run it.

I have a storyline in mind... how much interest is there?

Offler
Posted: Saturday, Jul 09, 2011 at 5:44 PM
I have just seen that the 2011 AFL Grand Final will be played on Saturday 1 October. As I'm a Geelong supporter, that will rule me out.

I guess the comeback will have to wait until January.

---------------

Nebseni Hammerhand
Posted: Sunday, Jul 10, 2011 at 5:20 AM
(sigh...)

Offler
Posted: Saturday, Jul 16, 2011 at 3:10 AM Edited on 2011-07-16 03:15:16.0
OK, time to think outside the box. MOAB is on an unfortunate collision course with the major footy codes this year. The NRL decider will be played on the Sunday night as per usual, but it's unlikely that two Sydney based teams will be playing (it will most likely involve two of Melbourne, Brisbane or St George), so that day could be OK. The AFL pushed their entire schedule back a week after hassles with the MCG, so their spectacle all day Saturday is what blows me out of playing.

The solution might be to stage two separate mini tournaments. A typical three rounder on one day, and a dive into the catacombs on another (leaving the Monday free for travel +/or acquiring Frequent Family Points). The second could be for warbands of either all characters/ special figures or just very undersized warbands (ignoring the normal rules for minimum sizes & formations) set to 500pts or so.

If Wargods is absent from MOAB this year, we'll have shrunk to the usually sound CANCON get together in January and the increasingly tenuous weekend at Leviathon in March. With a number of other newish skirmish games currently growing at the rate of knots, I think its imperative for us to draw a line in the sand and make some sort of stand for our little game. If we don't, our already significantly marginalised game faces the awful extinction that comes from just withering away on the vine.

What do other Australasian players think?

---------------

hazpak
Member: 194
Total Posts: 364
Posted: Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 6:38 PM
Cancon has and always will be wargods for me. no wargods i prob wont make the trip...

well prob..

MOAB has and always will be a shopping trip. Sorry but its i usually have assingments due around that time. So i'll be there to say hi at least.

Leviathon - i've made it to 2 but since then it clashes with sport

maybe Novocon needs to get up again (ie Newcastle - but i would hardly call it a tourney - just a dedicated day playing wargods)

---------------
There is no spoon - just sporks

Offler
Posted: Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 6:20 AM
hazpak said:
maybe Novocon needs to get up again (ie Newcastle - but i would hardly call it a tourney - just a dedicated day playing wargods)
I could get very interested in just such a day. Or 3, if we rotated venues between Newcastle, a venue handy to the western Sydney players, and perhaps Southern Battlegamers' fortress on Box Road over the course of a year.

Isn't that precisely what our tournaments are all about in the first place?

---------------

Nebseni Hammerhand
Posted: Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 2:49 PM
Well, as far as MOAB (and Leviathan) go, I'll run them, I'll build terrain, I'll do new armies to loan out and try and come up with interesting scenarios...

To paraphrase the quote, and with respect to Sandfly, I keep building it. It's up to you to come along.

So far, the interest seems minimal.

CBP3
High Tethru Investigator
Member: 55
Total Posts: 3018
Posted: Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 4:57 PM
Well if it wasn't so dammed far from me I'd be there in a heartbeat-- or several hours actually...

---------------
http://minismithsforge.blogspot.com/ http://shefdumabuki.blogspot.com/

Akenatum
Member: 1207
Total Posts: 174
Posted: Wednesday, Jul 20, 2011 at 2:15 AM
I'm kinda torn atm Want to play wargods but if it's gonna be a small turn out I'd rather play WHFB due to number of players as would still be able to catch up with people who do play between games... That said already planning for Cancon and what mischief I can get up too there...

Nebseni Hammerhand
Posted: Wednesday, Jul 20, 2011 at 3:54 AM
Adam, based on past experience it will be small : four to maybe eight if I'm lucky. I'd like more but that seems to be it.

One question : is the storytelling / roleplaying side of it a downside?

Should it be more a 'traditional' set of scenarios? Maybe as Offler suggests, a one day comp on Sat, a separate skirmish game on sunday and rest on monday?

On the idea of a floating tournament/games day, I like the idea. All I really need is a time and a place and a little warning to arrange time.

Akenatum
Member: 1207
Total Posts: 174
Posted: Wednesday, Jul 20, 2011 at 7:05 AM
Storytelling /roleplay isn't a downside for me just been craving a bunch of opponents lately as opposed to the smaller pools that they sydney wargods tournaments bring :(

Nebseni Hammerhand
Posted: Wednesday, Jul 27, 2011 at 5:31 AM
Does Offler's idea of a 3 game one day min-comp on Saturday and a dungeon crawl on the sunday seem interesting?

I need to come up with blurb and details for the organisers soon so get back to me if you're interested.

Nebseni Hammerhand
Posted: Wednesday, Jul 27, 2011 at 5:32 AM
Oh yes, the one day comp on saturday, possibly themed around the Heb Sed festival

Oceanborn
Member: 67
Total Posts: 622
Posted: Thursday, Jul 28, 2011 at 3:23 AM
I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it to MOAB or not this year (real life may get in the way), but it is more likely that I'd be able to make a one day comp compared to al longer comp.

Offler
Posted: Thursday, Jul 28, 2011 at 4:40 AM Edited on 2011-07-28 04:41:32.0
It's reassuring that we're getting some momentum on this.

It'd be even better if we could let Barry have some idea of which days.

Personally: I should be back from Hawaii by the weekend (which will need to be confirmed), but Saturday's out if Geelong make the AFL Grand Final. Sunday's a cert (bar Hawaii dragging on).

Geelong's season ends unexpectedly early & I'm in for both days.

---------------

Create Account | Visiting As: guest (US) | Log In
Terms of Service | Content & Artwork Copyright © 2010 Crocodile Games. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy